Month: February 2020
Fearing that our Ship of State had listed dangerously to port, a cabal of passengers and crew hired a new captain. Grasping the wheel, trimming the sheets, sailing into the wind, the new skipper employs all means at his command—some he doesn’t—to reverse course to safe, familiar water.
More than half those aboard are alarmed by this abrupt list to starboard, this frenzied struggle to change course. Since turning back is never an option, we search for a stable-minded captain. Before turning keel-up or hitting an iceberg, we need someone to chart a forward course, adjust the rudder and balance the cargo. Most important, we need a skipper to muster all of us amid ship, pass out the grog and lead in an ol’ sea chantey. With storm-tossed water ahead we need a commander who can deliver us and the cargo to distant, uncharted shore.
Abraham Lincoln knew, “The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present.” It’s a challenge to cross Captain Ahab’s eyes.
- publicly mocked a physically handicapped man?
- promised Mexico would pay for “The Wall,” then shut down the government when Congress wouldn’t and now funds it with taxpayer dollars appropriated for our military?
- said “I love the old days when campaign (protesters) would be carried out on a stretcher folks.” “I’ve actually instructed my people to look into” paying legal fees for supporters who punch out protesters!?
- boasted of grabbing women by the “pussy”?
- paid a pornographic movie star $135,000?
- had children separated from parents in families seeking asylum,?
- called Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists chanting “Jews will not replace us!”, driving a car into a crowd killing a young woman, “good people”?
- with gun deaths Daily News and mass shootings in America commonplace, with Australia’s and Britain’s restriction on gun ownership resulting in drops in gun related crime, with Canada’s parliament considering a “full ban” on handguns and assault weapons, welcomed Wayne LaPierre to the White House?
- with his own intelligence agencies in unanimous agreement that Russia meddled, and continues to meddle in, our elections, believes Vladimir Putin that they did not?
- establishing a model for discrimination, even violence, against Muslim, and by extension all non-Caucasians and non-Christians, bans citizens of Iran, Syria, Libya, Venezuela, North Korea, Yemen and Somalia—his “Muslim Ban”—from entering the United States?
- boasts and blusters liked a Sixth Grade Bully?
- ignores, indeed flaunts, centuries-old protocols of civil decorum and discourse?
- appears ignorant of, again indeed flaunts, standards for ethics, morals and honesty?
- disputing irrefutable evidence and scientific proof of Global Warming, puts corporate profit over the future of the planet?
- stunned a National Prayer Breakfast by responded to Arthur C. Brooks’s call to love your enemies with, “Arthur I don’t know if I agree with you.”
- as the Washington Post reports, “In 2017 . . . made 1,999 false or misleading claims. In 2018 . . . added another 5,689, for a total of 7,688. Now, with a few weeks still left in 2019 . . . has more than doubled the total number of false and misleading claims in just a single year. . . . (After) 1055 days in office . . . made 15,413 false or misleading claims”?
- was never loved?
- and on
- and on
- and on
Will it never end?